The breed of Appenzeller mountain dog has first been described in 1853 as distinctly barking, a shorthaired, colored dog of medium size, which can be seen in certain Swiss regions., where the dogs are used to protect the households and partly as cattle dogs.
In 1906 the professor Albert Heim, who studied Swiss mountain dogs, founded the first club of Appenzeller mountain dog. The aim of the club was to preserve and support the breeding of this breed in its natural and original form. Once the compulsory registration of puppies was established, clean breeding could begin.
Appenzeller mountain dogs were internationally recognized as independent breed in 1989 when the first standard has been constituted.
The original breeding area was the Swiss region Appenzell, which also gave the breed its name. Throughout the years the dogs expanded into whole Switzerland and further into entire Europe. Today the expression Appenzeller mountain dog is clearly defined as a breed and as such it is distinctively separated from other Swiss mountain dogs.
Although Appenzells do have many admirers and followers, the number of breeding dogs remain low in comparison with other breeds. Therefore only by responsible and rigorous breeding, it will be possible to determine and preserve their natural and excellent features.
Following images are historical photos of Appenzeller mountain dogs captured in 1951: